Skip to main content

Frienships…Are you a “Giver” or a “Receiver”


First of all I just want to make it very clear that I love all my friends with all my heart, and if one of you read this and feel a bit of discomfort then I think you need to examine your heart and find out why you feel a little discomfort, I know that this Blog will help you become a better friend, I strive for that everyday. Enjoy!!

Growing up moving from Namibia where life is very much family orientated , you are constantly surrounded by mothers , fathers ,aunts , uncles, sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews, cousins etc. This last week my husband and myself have been really talking a lot about “friendships” and we ask the question do we have real friendships or just acquaintances? I asked this question because when I moved from Windhoek to Cape Town I had no family and I made friends and over the years the friends circle has become a little less, the reason I am writing about this word “friendship” is because there has been something bugging me, you know how it is when you feel you are being the friend you want others to be to you and then you have this high expectancy of yourself and then in turn you find yourself projecting those expectations onto others, and that isn’t wrong in essence(well remember this is my opinion and my take, so you are more than welcome to differ).

What bugs me is this, we learn or at least I have learnt that in friendships for them to flourish it has to be nurtured, like all relationships for them to work like a well oiled machine both parties need to value it very much and find value in working on the friendship, what bugs me about most people who call themselves friends is that they have become accustomed to just receiving, what I mean is this they have become so spoiled by the other friend always being there, always picking up the phone to say hello, to a point of addiction, and when the friend who has always been “giving” decides today I aint doing that anymore, I am going to see whether this friendship is really valuable to the “receiver”, the receiver becomes offended by the giver’s silence, why is that? You know what I think that the receiver has now realized that maybe just maybe they have been taking this friendship for granted and now is too scared to take the next step of breaking the ice, it takes courage but we all have it inside of us, all we got to do is believe in ourselves and our own abilities, if the friendship is something that you value, you will make the next move…

I challenge you, if you have and I know you found yourself in this situation if you are a “receiver” I challenge you to step out of your comfort zone and make that first move of saying “hello first” whether it be writing on your friend’s wall on Face Book, whether it be picking up the phone and making that call, whether it be BBM, whether it be sms, whatever medium you want to use just do it!! Reach out!!

For the “giver” I challenge you to start shifting gears, take a step back and allow the “receivers” to make that first move, I write this because I want friends in my life who knows that there are a balance and when there isn’t a balance friendships tend to fall apart, yes I know in the beginning it will be shock therapy, but you will value those friends who reach out to you now much more than you ever did, because you will feel that you are also important to that friendship.

Comments

  1. Interesting indeed, I'm both a receiver and a giver, sometimes I give more though.
    Thus it makes me a giver?

    It is true that a balance is required, hence one should choose friends wisely. Very Cliche yet still as much truth as the first time it's been said

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We are so used to...

We are so used to allowing our current circumstances consume us, we lament we groan and moan and we are often so confused as to what the next step must be that we should take.  The groaning and moaning of How unfair this is, Why is this happening to me? What did I do to deserve this?  Etc and we find people to complain to but we do nothing about our situations. We then use our situations to fall in abuse of substances and we even turn to other things we never thought we were capable of…because we are so vulnerable and the enemy will use that vulnerability to his advantage. We worry about what this one is going to say. How is it going to look to others? I won’t be able to do this and that? My question to you is, can you afford not to walk away? These are the thoughts that keep us captive. In Hosea 4:6 God reminds us that my people perish through lack of knowledge. So surely when you know better you should do better, right? Look we are all at different spaces in our lives but when we a

It's OKAY not be OKAY...

TODAY is one of those days I don't allow myself to have many of... A day where I am extremely emotional and teary and life seems to have gotten the better of me just for today. I don't tend to dwell on my negatives I am known to be the optimistic one and always positive however today I am far from that. I allow myself to be in this space because in this moments of being emotional and allowing myself to cry because they say tears are healing waters. I am very much aware of my surroundings and giving myself this space to just process every disappointment and whatever else I am dealing with. A close friend and mentor of mine told me a few months ago that I should learn to unpack things as they happen and not bottle it all up and then I explode when things just get too much. As a mother, wife and whatever else I am to whoever it all just got too much. Have you ever gotten to a point where you question "Why?"   "Why do I even bother talking non stop with my k

No one is always busy...

Such truth in this picture. I saw this picture message on a page I follow on Facebook and it made me think and reflect and I shared it on my page but I didn't elaborate at the time because I was still filled with negative emotions. Then this morning a friend of mine shared it on her page and these are my thoughts about this and I am referring to friendships/relationships with family and just relationships in general. So please allow me to express myself.. What is most difficult to comprehend is that we allow people to have so much space in our lives and they give so little of their time to us...It hurts immensely when you know how committed you are to certain friendships/relationships and you get absolutely the bare minimum and that fact is what is making me walk away from many. Zainonesha had this to say about it " So true...then one has to settle with lame excuses as if our lives are depending on it. Be Honest I would say" Yes I understand that we are all in dif