Skip to main content

Say NO to Bullying!!

A few days ago my husband shared a story with me about a girl who has been bullied at school for the last three years. For three years this girl was horribly mistreated by girls in her own grade, I am not allowed to say anything further as the case is still being investigated.

My heart right now is so saddened that this is our reality at schools and I would like to be a part of creating awareness and making this 'bullying' stop. This will be the first of a few posts where I will be addressing the topic of 'bullying' especially in schools. 

So what is bullying? Bullying is an aggressive behavior amongst school children. Often the behaviour is repeated.

Bullying includes the following:
- threatening
- teasing
- name calling
-hurting someone
- excluding them from a group on purpose
- humiliating someone infront ofpeers 

Where does Bullying happens?
- it happens at school
-in the playground
- on school outings
- on the way to school
- on the toilets
- on the phone or the Internet 
- in classrooms

How does it feel to be Bullied?
-bullying is hurtful
- children who are bullied feel unhappy,frightened and lonely
- children that are bullied has a low self esteem 
- children that are bullied feel worthless
- they feel unimportant


What do you do when you are being bullied?
- you need to tell a teacher or an adult who will listen to you and help will you
- you need to tell your mother or someone in your family
- share your story with a friend you trust
-Ask them (adult/teacher )to help you work out what to do
-if you are bullied over the phone via text or internet keep the messages and show an adult 

A child who is a victim of bullying will stay quiet about the bullying because he/she is afraid that if they say something it will get worse. As a parent we have to create an environment at home that makes our children feel comfortable to share struggles especially in the case of bullying.

We must be emotionally available for our children and not too preoccupied with other stuff but make an effort to connect with our children on a daily basis no matter how busy we are. Let's face it life is always busy everyone is busy however we owe it to our children to make sure they are emotionally healthy that requires us as parents to check in with them daily.

Ask your child:

How was your day? 

Did something exciting happen today?

Is there anything you are struggling with? 

Wait for a response and listen to understand , don't listen to respond. 

Stay tuned for the next blog where I will go in depth with the signs to be aware of to pick up if your child is being bullied. 

You can also check out the Vlog of Lee-the-Bean where she addresses the same topic and give parents tips on how to handle this issue of 'bullying' 

#BullyingMustFall
#SayNoToBullying
#StopBullyinginSchools

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are so used to...

We are so used to allowing our current circumstances consume us, we lament we groan and moan and we are often so confused as to what the next step must be that we should take.  The groaning and moaning of How unfair this is, Why is this happening to me? What did I do to deserve this?  Etc and we find people to complain to but we do nothing about our situations. We then use our situations to fall in abuse of substances and we even turn to other things we never thought we were capable of…because we are so vulnerable and the enemy will use that vulnerability to his advantage. We worry about what this one is going to say. How is it going to look to others? I won’t be able to do this and that? My question to you is, can you afford not to walk away? These are the thoughts that keep us captive. In Hosea 4:6 God reminds us that my people perish through lack of knowledge. So surely when you know better you should do better, right? Look we are all at different spaces in our lives but when we a

It's OKAY not be OKAY...

TODAY is one of those days I don't allow myself to have many of... A day where I am extremely emotional and teary and life seems to have gotten the better of me just for today. I don't tend to dwell on my negatives I am known to be the optimistic one and always positive however today I am far from that. I allow myself to be in this space because in this moments of being emotional and allowing myself to cry because they say tears are healing waters. I am very much aware of my surroundings and giving myself this space to just process every disappointment and whatever else I am dealing with. A close friend and mentor of mine told me a few months ago that I should learn to unpack things as they happen and not bottle it all up and then I explode when things just get too much. As a mother, wife and whatever else I am to whoever it all just got too much. Have you ever gotten to a point where you question "Why?"   "Why do I even bother talking non stop with my k

No one is always busy...

Such truth in this picture. I saw this picture message on a page I follow on Facebook and it made me think and reflect and I shared it on my page but I didn't elaborate at the time because I was still filled with negative emotions. Then this morning a friend of mine shared it on her page and these are my thoughts about this and I am referring to friendships/relationships with family and just relationships in general. So please allow me to express myself.. What is most difficult to comprehend is that we allow people to have so much space in our lives and they give so little of their time to us...It hurts immensely when you know how committed you are to certain friendships/relationships and you get absolutely the bare minimum and that fact is what is making me walk away from many. Zainonesha had this to say about it " So true...then one has to settle with lame excuses as if our lives are depending on it. Be Honest I would say" Yes I understand that we are all in dif